The Congress of Berlin by Anton Werner

Thursday, August 4, 2022

End of an era: I moved from Ozyegin University to Great Basin College

 After nine years at Ozyegin University, I have now moved back to the US, and taken up the position of Political Science Instructor at Great Basin College, at Elko, Nevada. The nine years I spent in Turkey were some of the best of my life, despite living through a coup attempt, increasing political repression, and economic degradation. 

At Ozyegin I found a good academic family with good, collaborative, humane, and brilliant colleagues. I also had the chance to teach some very gifted student, that I am happy to see going on to greater things. Turkey, despite its many problems treated me well. My career was able to advance, with me being able to publish not only in international relations, but also other areas of interest to me. I made good friends, and collaborators. 

But all things come to an end. For good family reasons I have returned to the USA and to the welcoming hands of Great Basin College at Elko, Nevada. Definitely a very different place than Istanbul/Constantinople and a very different institution that Ozyegin. But I can already say I am welcome, and looking forward to serve our students here, as I did to my students in Turkey. 

The great adventure continues!